Ever wondered why health experts and nutritionists always emphasize healthy living? You may be surprised to know how much of a positive effect healthy living can have on you.
A healthy lifestyle provides advantages such as healthy body weight and higher energy levels. Healthy lifestyles are also attributed to increasing life expectancies. A study published in BMJ journal reported that healthy living can extend life expectancy by 10 years for women and 8 years for men.
However, establishing a healthy lifestyle is not easy, especially if you live a busy life. According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, nearly 65% of Australian adults and 25% of children are overweight. This isn’t surprising since less than 7% of Australians in Australia consume a healthy diet consistent with the dietary guidelines. If you want to start living healthy, these tips will help you get started right now.
Prioritize dental health
Taking care of those pearly whites is important not only for your self-esteem but also for your overall well-being. Damaged teeth and gums can cause problems in your mouth, impair eating habits, and thus trickle down into other health-related problems.
Unfortunately, people often neglect dental health. A report from the Australian Oral Health Tracker suggests tooth decay is the most common form of chronic disease, with 90% of the adult population suffering from it.
Visiting a dentist for a checkup every 6-8 months is a sure-shot way to prevent dental issues from becoming a major problem. In Australia, there are 24,626 registered dentists; 4977 dentists are registered in Queensland. If you’re looking for Pimpama dentist options in the state of Queensland for high-quality care, consider browsing local business listings or asking friends and family for recommendations.
Be physically active
Being physically active is one of the differentiating factors between a healthy life and an unhealthy one. Involving yourself in physical activities not only helps you to look fit, but also improves cardiovascular and musculoskeletal health and helps you manage stress and maintain an ideal body weight.
Being physically active doesn’t necessarily mean long gym sessions or strenuous exercises. It can be any sort of activity, such as:
- Long Walks
There is no limitation on picking any activity, but what’s important is to be consistent with whatever you choose. Picking something you love doing is the best way to start; that way, it won’t feel like a chore. Taking out at least 30 minutes daily is ideal for maximum benefit.
Maintain a healthy diet
A healthy diet comprises food rich in nutrients such as carbohydrates, proteins, and minerals in the right quantities. A healthy diet provides the body with the energy it needs to function optimally, maintain a healthy weight, and prevent obesity or malnourishment. Furthermore, it is important for a strong immune system to promote better digestion and reduce the risk of serious cardiovascular diseases.
To maintain a balanced diet:
- Introduce more unprocessed carbohydrates in your diet, such as whole grains, cereals, barley, and brown rice, etc.
- Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables in your meals
- Consume healthy fats such as nuts, seeds, and olive oil
- Make sure to have a good intake of protein-rich food such as fish, eggs, and lean meat
- Avoid processed foods like white bread, pastries, biscuits, sugary drinks, etc.
- Avoid saturated fats
About 60% of the adult human body is water, so it’s no surprise how essential it is for a healthy life. Water is important in numerous bodily functions, such as regulating temperature, digestion, and removing waste products. It is also essential in protecting sensitive tissues and keeping your skin healthy. The average temperature in Australia is around 30 degrees Celsius, so you must be careful on hot days.
Some helpful tips for staying hydrated include the following:
- Carry a water bottle with you to drink on the go
- Keep water chilled in your fridge (if you don’t have a dispenser)
- Drink water before your meals (this helps in digestion and reduces chances of overeating)
- Have water instead of sugary drinks
Get enough sleep
How often is it that when we feel low, taking a nap makes us feel better? This is because a good amount of sleep (7-9 hours) is essential for the human body to function. Sleep gives our body time to repair, so it’s important for physical recovery and improving the immune system. Sleep is even more important for children and teens’ growth and development.
To have a good night’s sleep, follow some of these practices:
- Refrain from using any electronic device at least 30 minutes before you sleep
- Adhere to a sleep schedule so that you build a routine
- Use a comfortable and relaxing mattress and pillow
- Avoid heavy meals, caffeine, and alcohol before going to bed
- Exercise and physically exert yourself during the day to become tired in the evening and fall asleep faster
Take care of your mental health
Mental health is essential as it contributes to your ability to enjoy life, deal with challenges, productivity, and even physical health. Many people are still somewhat unaware of how to improve their mental health, but these tips can help:
- Practice meditation to improve focus and relieve stress
- Limit alcohol and substance usage, as high amounts are harmful
- Connecting with others to reduce stress and have emotional support
- Limit the use of social media as it often creates feelings of degradation and anxiousness
- talk to a mental health professional if things get worse
Embracing healthy living is an empowering journey that begins with a single decision to prioritize your well-being. A happy and conditioned life leads to longevity and happiness for oneself and others. However, achieving this requires determination and proactiveness because of the challenges of modern life. What’s important is that you be kind to yourself and embrace the progress you make; that is the best advice. Use the tips mentioned above to the fullest to get the most benefit out of them.