The pancreas is a long, flat gland that sits tucked behind the stomach in the upper abdomen. It produces enzymes that help break down food and hormones that help control blood sugar levels.

The pancreas has two main types of cells: exocrine cells and endocrine cells. Exocrine cells make up about 95 percent of the pancreas and produce enzymes that are released into the small intestine to help with digestion. Endocrine cells make up the other 5 percent of the pancreas and produce hormones like insulin and glucagon, which help regulate blood sugar levels.

Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas that can be caused by alcohol consumption, certain medications, or surgery. Pancreatitis can be a mild condition that goes away on its own or a severe condition that requires hospitalization.


Below we describe functions of Pancreas:

Exocrine Function

The pancreas is an organ in the human body that has many important functions. One of the most important functions of the pancreas is its exocrine function. The exocrine function of the pancreas is the production of enzymes that are responsible for the digestion of food in the stomach and intestines.

The pancreatic enzymes are secreted into the small intestine where they break down carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. without these enzymes, the stomach and intestines would not be able to properly digest food and absorb nutrients. The pancreas also produces a hormone called insulin which helps to regulate blood sugar levels in the body.

Without a functioning pancreas, the digestive system would not be able to properly break down food and absorb nutrients. This could lead to serious health problems such as malnutrition or even death.

Endocrine Function

The pancreas is an endocrine gland that secretes insulin, glucagon, and somatostatin. These hormones regulate blood sugar levels by promoting glucose uptake by cells and preventing its release from the liver. Pancreatic hormones also play a role in fat and protein metabolism.


The pancreas is an important organ in the human body. It helps the body to digest food and produce insulin. However, the pancreas can also be affected by diseases. Some of the diseases that can affect the pancreas include:

Pancreatitis: This is a condition where the pancreas becomes inflamed. Pancreatitis can be caused by alcoholism, gallstones, or certain medications. Symptoms of pancreatitis include abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting. Pancreatitis is a serious and potentially life-threatening condition that occurs when the pancreas becomes inflamed. The pancreas is a small organ located behind the stomach that produces enzymes that help digest food. When pancreatitis occurs, these enzymes begin to digest the pancreas itself. This can lead to pain, nausea, vomiting, and weight loss. Pancreatitis can be caused by alcohol abuse, certain medications, or gallstones. Treatment for pancreatitis typically involves hospitalization and aggressive supportive care. In some cases, surgery may be necessary.

Pancreatic Cancer: This is a type of cancer that affects the cells of the pancreas. Pancreatic cancer is often hard to detect in its early stages. Symptoms of pancreatic cancer include weight loss, jaundice, and abdominal pain.

Diabetes: This is a condition where there is too much sugar in the blood.

Leave a Comment